Subject: Issue #75 on signals

Hi,
I had a discussion with Chris Ferris on BPSS issue 75 about signals.
Message service has a signal called DeliveryReceipt. It seems to have
everything we need. So the TRP team will strike a deal with us: We get to name
it, they get to define it. I think that will work. We would want two, probably
identical DTD's, one called ReceiptAcknowledgement, one called
AcceptanceAcknowledgement. The structure would be as per the attached
DeliveryReceipt. This would be a nice first step at aligning signal structures
across ebXML. Pete and Suhayl, would RosettaNet be able to migrate to this
signal structure, too?

On the Exception signal, the alignment seems a little tougher.
Would RosettaNet at least be willing to use ebXML upper/lowerCamelCase
convention?  Also, consider a URI to the document containing the error
definitions, and consider a Severity element (e.g. warning, error,
fatal-error). Take a look at the attached, and let's see how far towards
alignment we can get. My proposal is that we use the RosettaNet signal with
whatever alignment we can build into it.

thanks,
-karsten

Here is the schema snippet with a comment from Chris:

<schema targetNamespace="http://www.ebxml.org/namespaces/messageHeader"
	xmlns:tns="http://www.ebxml.org/namespaces/messageHeader"
	xmlns:ds="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"
	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema" version="1.0">

	<import namespace="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"
schemaLocation="http://ebxml.org/project_teams/transport/xmldsig-core-schema.xsd"/>

	<!-- DELIVERY RECEIPT -->
	<element name="DeliveryReceipt">
		<complexType>
			<sequence>
                                <element ref="tns:Timestamp"/>
				<element ref="ds:Reference" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
                 	</sequence>
			<attribute ref="tns:id"/>
			<attribute ref="tns:version"/>
			<anyAttribute namespace="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema-instance"
processContents="lax"/>
			<!-- <attribute name="signed" type="boolean"/> -->
		</complexType>
	</element>
	<element name="Timestamp" type="timeInstant"/>
	<!-- for XMLSchema PR (soon to be REC)
	<element name="Timestamp" type="dateTime"/>
	-->
</schema>

Here's an example with faux digest value:

<eb:DeliveryReceipt xmlns:eb="http://www.ebxml.org/namespaces/messageHeader"
	id="X01" eb:version="1.0">
    <eb:Timestamp>2001-04-19T18:35:00Z</eb:Timestamp>
    <ds:Reference ds:URI="" xmlns:ds="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#">
	<ds:Transforms>
		<ds:Transform
ds:Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#enveloped-signature"/>
	</ds:Transforms>
	<ds:DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1"/>
	<ds:DigestValue>$%^%$#@@!!(*&^%</ds:DigestValue>
    </ds:Reference>
</eb:DeliveryReceipt>

We might possibly be persuaded to amend the schema to allow for an
arbitrary (#PCDATA) digest value as an alternative. However, use of
XML Signature is the "XML" way to express a digest these days.

Cheers,

Chris