Subject: RE: (Per Mark Hale),RE: ebXML in W3C? and OASIS Business Transactiongroup

I'd be interested in a dispassionate conversation about how
those who know both BTP and the ebXML-BP + UMM transaction
protocol think the two compare and contrast.  (The comparers
would need to understand the UMM transaction patterns as
well as BPSS, and don't get hung up on choreography details.)

In other words, set aside anything accusatory, e.g. words
like "conflict" and precedence and MOUs and see how the two
initiatives might relate.  Then we can get all mad at each other later.8-)

My first impressions were that BTP covers a lot of the same ground,
even to the same idea of transactional behavior from the viewpoint
of the initiator.  As UN/CEFACT ebWG gets into collaboration patterns,
the area of overlap will be larger.

We've just had Jean-Jacques Dubray do a detailed comparison and
binding between ebXML BPSS and BPML.  Something similar needs
to be done with the other collaboration choreography initiatives.

-Bob Haugen

(What was that quote about standards being wonderful because
there were so many of them?)