Subject: Re: eBTWG Proposal BPSS Revision Project 0.3 DRAFT

I think all three proposals (Brian's, Karsten's and David's) are close
enough to allow
for a compromise that keeps everyone happy. As I said before, I would
support either
proposal, but I'd like to see the following points addressed in the
final proposal.

In his submission Karsten makes a few very valid points (4, 5, and 6)
that need to be
addressed by the BPSS or the BCSS project:

4. Focus on run-time interoperability, not on modelling.
5. Focus on XML not on UML
6. Focus on executability, not on business modelling.

We have already enough modelling languages, not only for internal
business processes
but also for defining collaborations. What we really need from ebXML is
an exchange
format for collaboration specs. Moreover, this exchange format should be
based on a
sound meta-model for business collaborations and have proper semantics.

Therefore, I'd like to see a work item on defining the semantics of
business
collaborations.

Unlike Karsten, I believe alignment with the UMM metamodel is important.
It defines our
vocabulary, but it does not necessarily have to be the law. Let's put
the UMM
meta-model to the (executability) test. Is it possible to define a
proper operational
semantics for it?

Regards,
Maarten Steen

--
Dr. ir. Maarten W.A. Steen - Scientific Researcher
Telematica Instituut, Postbus 589, 7500 AN  Enschede, The Netherlands