Subject: RE: Syntax Free Models

Bob:

I agree in terms of process. I am assuming that when we model processes and
choreographies, that we allow for real-world variation in our models.
Describing this range of variation in a controlled way is easy to do with an
XML syntax, and seems to be very much the approach taken in XMI and similar
efforts. I did *not* mean to suggest that we can hard-code absolute
sequences into our business processes.

Some workflow systems - I speak from experience with the one sold by
Documentum - manifest the process as an object that can be modified at any
point during the process it describes. This is a handy way of accomodating
branching and variable sequences within processes, and is very common in
workflow technology. What we do should allow this kind of technology to be
applied between trading partners, rather than simply within the enterprise.

My assumption is that, in terms of an XML implementation, the choreography
would be manifested as a document that indicates both the steps of that
portion of the business transaction that will occur between trading partners
(rather than the portions internal to the enterprises) for the particular
transaction; and an indication of where in the process a particular document
is placed. These functions - indicating the choreography as opposed to
indicating the state of a given transaction - could also be done separately,
if that makes sense.

Cheers,

Arofan Gregory