Subject: RE: Core Component Analysis - SWIFT's Comments

I haven't wanted to enter this discussion, Steve, but do want to let you
know that the plan is to start with Oxford English.  People who
require tags in other languages intend to develop Core Components (and
tags) in those languages.  We expect French, German, Russian, and Japanese
at the very least.  We may even have some people who want to use American!

Mary Kay

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve.GIS.Tompkins@chase.com [mailto:Steve.GIS.Tompkins@chase.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 5:52 AM
To: Philip Goatly
Cc: ebXML Core

I must confess that I have not seen the EDIFACT tags yet. This is certainly
something that I will need to do once I manage to find enough time to
ensure that I am still alive. One thing that I would like to point out,
even though this is from a point of view within my own morking enviroment,
is this.

We are in the process of making our user area more literate in the basic
use of XML. This saves us time in the long term in that we do not have to
parse the marked up data into database fields only to have to extract the
data again and rebuild the mark ups. One of the benefits of the XML model
is that it should be humanly readable. As we are in England, as William so
- shall we say tactlessly - proclaimed it is logical to have the mark ups
in English. There seems to be much ado here about nothing. Essentially we
are dealing with an agent and client network that is totally fluent in
English. Why should we bother with anything other than English as the
language of choice if:
1) It totally fills our needs and requirements unambiguously.
2) Nobody other than English capable people are going to use it.
3) It provides us with more flexibility than a solution that only
technically minded people are capable of reading. What are we trying to
protect here?

I look forward to Mr. Kammerer's inevitable response.

ST

Philip Goatly <philip.goatly@bolero.net> on 24/01/2001 09:49:09

Please respond to Philip Goatly <philip.goatly@bolero.net>