Subject: Re: Tag Languages, UID's etc. - My experiment with the Beacon BDR

Martin Bryan assured us to "[have no] fear, BSR is the basis [of the
core component analysis work] , but BSR cannot be used as is because it
is too inflexible. BDR on the other hand is just too damn expensive to
be of use to SMEs."

So BSR is the basis.  Thanks for the confirmation, Martin.  Is the only
problem with the Beacon BDR that it "is just too damn expensive," or are
there technical weaknesses that make it unsuitable?

But now David RR Webber says "we can load an ebXML registry with
whatever dictionary a particular industry fancies, and then use the UID
mechanism to build associations to ensure interoperability." Okay,
that's kind of what I was asking: couldn't some XML artifact
("imaginary" namespaces???) be used to say a particular name is defined
by the BSR, or alternatively, the BDR, the HIPAA DED or the RosettaNet
Business Dictionary?

Martin says the BSR will be used [to some extent], and David RR says we
will use "whatever dictionary a particular industry fancies."  There's a
conflict here, but I have no problem either proposal.  It's just that
you both say it so authoritatively that it sounds like somewhere along
the line such a decision has already been made.

David RR reminds me "that there are about 230 million Americans, of whom
only about 60+% actually claim American as their first language - and
that real English speakers worldwide far outnumber you!"  He forgets
that as a vibrant young society, we're fairly fecund - our population
now well exceeds 280 million, making us the third most populous country
in the world.   Even if not spoken at home, English is spoken and
understood well by over 95% of the population (of those expected to
speak at all).  Probably over 200 million Americans speak it as their
mother tongue with no real competency in another language! That far
exceeds the combined populations of the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and
Canada.  So there, David RR!!!

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.