Subject: Re: identification / classification

Hi all,

        I've been an observer of this mailing list of ebXML, but now the
topic covers the area of my speciality. So I'm taking this chance to give
some info ...

        As a classification scheme of industrial product, you have ISO13584
Parts Library(PLIB in short) standard in particular Part42, in which BSU
 basic semantic unit) is used to identify a product from an engineering
point of view.
In fact the part 42 has a mirror of an IEC standard; IEC61360 Part2. Also,
IEC61360-4 is the dictionary( standard classficiation) on electric and
electronic components, based on this Part.
The difference with other identification framework is that it has a notion
that a product class is defined by a set of properties. So properties as
well as classes have IDs named BSU.

Principal BSUs are class_BSU, property_BSU, and Supplier_BSU.
Supplier_BSU is an identification of information supplier. With this, you
can know who defines the
class_BSU, property_BSU, and all other BSUs. The identity of the
supplier_BSU is guaranteed
by ISO6523 International Code Designator(ICD). The first 4 digits of the ICD
identify the organizations that make standards and classifications. ISO,
IEC, NIST, and all major standard making organizations including some
corporations, are given respective numbers. These organizations may further
issue respective id's. DUNS number too is now on the list of ICD, though I
haven't checked UNSPSC yet.

Most of the Parts of PLIB standard reached already an IS stage. The standard
is being discussed at ISO-TC184/SC4/WG2 where  you find companion standards
like "STEP"  in the next room of the Subcommittee, i.e. WG3.
Many dictionaries or classifications which includes RosettaNet,
have direct or indirect relation with this standard.
Useful information can be found at
http://www.plib.ensma.fr/

Japanese Electric Measuring Instruments Manufacturers' Association (JEMIMA)
started to make an International standard based on PLIB, too. You can find
some other organizations making a similar effort.

ISO TC184/SC4/WG2 is planning to host a joint meeting in San Francisco in
June, inviting in fact,  ebXML and other private consortiums like
RosettaNet, OBI, xCBL and others, to find a way of collaboration with
commercial transactions standard. PLIB is to select an industrial product at
a point in time, ebXML may be to sell and procure it in a sequence of time ,
in brief.

I hope this is of some help to you.

    Hiroshi
----------------------------------