Subject: Re: identification / classification, and Party ID

Thanks to Hiroshi MURAYAMA for reminding us of ISO13584 (PLIB).  My
attention is drawn to that part of the standard which deals with
supplier identification based on the ISO 6523 ICD.  For example, if
FORESIGHT Corp. were some kind of supplier, we'd be unambiguously
identified by 0060/782501225, because ICD 0060 stands for D-U-N-S, and
our D-U-N-S is 782501225.

This brings us to a fuller examination of the party identifier within
party identification.details at line 21 in the Initial Core Components
Catalogue.  It's derived from identification.details, which in turn uses
code.details - the infamous UN/EDIFACT 1131/3055 pair lookalike.
Looking at the CC catalog, I wouldn't have the vaguest idea of what
these IDs are supposed to be in the context of party ID - what am I to
put in there to indicate that my Party is identified by an EAN global
location number?

If you told me it was going to work just like the UN/EDIFACT 1131/3055
pair, I suppose I could live with that.  But that's not new, sexy and
XML'ish, nor consonant with TR&P's obsession with URNs and URIs for
Party identification.  But if you told me that the party ID can be a URI
itself, or qualified by a naming authority identified by a URI, an OID
or an ICD, then I'd be off and running.

I've discussed Party Identification various times with TR&P;  see "Re:
Message Service Specification Version 0.91, or PartyId revisited," (05
Jan 2001), at
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-transport/200101/msg00111.html;
"Re: Message Service Specification Version 0.91," (03 Jan 2001), at
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-transport/200101/msg00047.html;
"Re: TC154 vote on NWI - your approval needed," (12 Dec 2000), at
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-transport/200012/msg00103.html;
and "Re: PartyId and Context," (18 Dec 2000), at
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-transport/200012/msg00200.html.

Some examples from the above: a URN of "urn:oid:1.3.60" to qualify the
code 081466849 unambiguously identifies the party of Microsoft
Corporation using their D-U-N-S, and using "urn:oid:1.3.21" to qualify
BONEUS33XXX says we're talking about BANK ONE COLUMBUS,N.A. using the
SWIFT BIC, registered as ICD 0021 with the BSI which maintains ISO 6523.

Some more background on Party identification in the context of X12 and
UN/EDIFACT is available in a nice package: see the EIDX General
Recommendations for Party and Location Identification at
http://www.eidx.org/publications/business_models/parties.html.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.