Subject: More on the dreaded optionality problem....

While reading up on UML - as I am still not convinced that it brings
much value to modeling external business processes - I came across our
own Christian Huemer of the University of Vienna and the ebXML BP group
in the IEEE Proceedings of the 34th Hawaii International Conference on
System Sciences - 2001.  Sheesh! I've never been to Hawaii - maybe I
ought to get in on this UML modeling bandwagon.  See "Defining
Electronic Data Interchange Transactions with UML," (0-7695-0981-9/01),
at http://www.computer.org/proceedings/hicss/0981/0981toc.htm under
Track 7: Internet and the Digital Economy Track within E-Commerce
Systems Development Methodologies.

Well, I'm still not a believer in UML, but Huemer has a salient quote
that buttresses what I said last Friday regarding optionality causing
complexity:

   ...people not directly involved in message development...
   may not understand the complexity included in the [EDI
   standard] messages. This is made worse by the fact that
   standard messages include optionality without explaining
   under which conditions these options are to be used.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305