Subject: RE: Jon Bosak's suggestion that xCBL be adopted as the ebXML Busi nessDocument framework

William:

The point at which ebXML becomes a DTD describing EDI syntax, to neatly
carry EDI messages in a more character-intensive text format - ISO standard
or no - is the point at which the technology world will cease to care about
that aspect of ebXML. It abandons too many of the advantages of really using
XML to express semantics, in the way it is designed to express them, as
opposed to the quite different way EDI stntax does it. Mixing the two gets
the benefit of neoither *on a syntactic level* (the semantics are, of course
common.)

Let  ISO do what it may - I don't think ebXML will embrace this approach.

Cheers,

Arofan

-----Original Message-----
From: William J. Kammerer [mailto:wkammerer@foresightcorp.com]
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 1:07 PM
To: 'ebXML Core'
Subject: Re: Jon Bosak's suggestion that xCBL be adopted as the ebXML
Business Document framework

Arofan Gregory suspects "that many initial attempts [at automatic
generation of schemas] will share the failings of attempts to
automatically translate the EDIFACT and X12 standards into XML: they
abandon many of the best features of the new syntax in order to
accommodate the old."

What's this I hear about the Germans trying to get their XML EDI wrapper
solution on the fast-track to becoming an ISO standard?  I have it on
good sources - namely, some German guy - who alerted me to
http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nbue/nbue3/nbueaa3/aktuelles.html.  A
draft of the German proposal, DIN standard 16557-4, is available at
http://forum.afnor.fr/afnor/WORK/AFNOR/GPN2/XMLEDI/PUBLIC/dr00.htm. If
this EDIFACT wrapper technique becomes an ISO standard, is there
pressure on us to use it for ebXML?

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.