ebxml-core message

Subject: RE: Getting Back to Basics - How to describe Dates and Times andEvents?

Yes, as you said, I drop all of the specifically-named
date and accounting period elements from my General Ledger
schema... and substitute the following model:

  <qualifier>AnyEdifact2005qualifier</qualifier>      (optional)
  <date>yyyy-mm-dd</date>       (required)
  <time>hh:mm:ss</date>         (optional)
  <timezone>zz</timezone>       (optional)

The principle of avoiding specifically-named elements applies
in numerous other places in a GL schema.  For example you would
avoid elements like "invoiceNumber", "poNumber", etc. and instead,
use something like Edifact 1153 strings,

  <docType>Invoice</docType>       (required)
  <docNum>ABC-12345</docNum>       (required)

  <codeList>DUNS</codeList>              (required)
  <codeValue>999999999</codeValue>       (required)

On the other hand, if you want adoption by small developers,
the basic framework around these meta-meta structures must
be clean and easy.

For the record there is a good argument on this exact topic,

(I am not necessarily promoting their 1999 solution however.)

Sue Probert's report on Pharos http://www.edipro.no/pharname.htm last
year is helpful, as is Sintef report on Pharos.

Hope this helps somebody.  And, any comments on my three objects
would be most welcome.