Subject: Re: What do people really expect from ebXML?

David, et al.

Thanks for your note.  You may be selling your smaller business clients
short.  I got an e-mail recently from a group called PeopLink; go to its
Web site at http://www.peoplink.org/ and click on its More About page to
see how the group operates.  It gives digital cameras to Third-World
artisans and asks them to send the images of their wares to PeopLink, which
posts the images on the group's Web site to help resell the items.  They
also auction the items on E-Bay.

The CTO of the organization is interested in ebXML for setting up a more
sophisticated cataloging service for the artisans.  EbXML messages would
support many of the logistics and back-office functions, which would help
the group handle a much larger number of  artisan clients and catalog
customers.  Right now, its client software for the artisans is configured
for desktop systems.  You are correct, however, that we have to think
beyond the desktop system to hand-held devices.  Best regards.

Alan Kotok
Director, Education and Information Resources
Data Interchange Standards Association
akotok@disa.org
+1 703-518-4174