Subject: Re: VOTE REQUESTED - Suggest vote NO to Section 7 oftheTechnicalArchitecture Specification

Bob,

This is a difficult area, that I acknowledge.

Integration means different things to different people. To EDI developers it
has one conotation and to SME Managers they'll probably think you're talking
about racism.

So I understand the decision to step around 'intergration' from a technical
point of view.

The problem is, that to not even connect the points Trading Partner(s),
ebXML and Accounting System is not a completed circuit. To a simple person,
the design is not plausible.

An SME reader without an EDI background will have no idea what any of the
document is talking about if it doesn't even mention his Accounting system.

For as far as he/she is concerned, that's where all the computerisation of
the business takes place.

As this is a computer thing, the reader needs to know where this ebXML fits
into their business, as that is why they are reading the document.

The document needs to inform the reader that ebXML connects/is intended to
connect the Accounting systems between businesses.

The solution for them of course, is to discuss the ebXML requirement with
their Accounting system provider, and possibly purchase an upgrade (maybe
the whole system, who knows).

Of course, some Accounting system Vendors will be able to, and some not.

Both the Business Reader, and the Software Providers, need to be led
forward.

In large organisations, the integration may be a nightmare - require $30M
and 150 people. For a small firm, it may be as simple as clicking on
ftp://www.peachtree.com and downloading the ebXML module for $50.

Whatever it is, people need to know in what direction they will be going.

But they need to see that their car has wheels, before they will step in. I
mean everybody knows that cars have wheels, and likewise that businesses
have accounting systems. It's just taken for granted.

Take care

David Lyon