Subject: RE: What do people really expect from ebXML? - Is CC really a set ofLegos?

It's always nice to time travel - in this case back 15 years to when OO went
mainstream in programming.  This same argument was had there.  Top down
analysis works well for specific problems but results in solutions that are
hard to generalize/extend.  Bottom up analysis builds extensible structures,
but is not always ideal for any particular application.  Once people stopped
shouting, the answer was obvious - exclusive or's rarely make sense.  One
should proceed iteratively, and do both at once.  If one proceeds
iteratively, then one can recalibrate both ends of the tunnel numerous times
- unlike the physical world.

But a far better analogy is assembling machines from parts.  We wish to be
able to reuse the parts in a variety of similar machines - in which case
it's better to use a little glue here and there, then to always need to
rebuild from scratch because the parts you created for the last machine
can't be transplanted.

Matthew