Subject: Re: [Fwd: Example Scenarios Used Within the Aerospace Industry]

Looks like I hit a nerve there Mike.
I actually do have a line of work and it is certainly not directly in EDI or
similar. I am an engineer and a computer Scientist and busines problems are
just one thing a computer scientist can work on in conjunction with business
people. I was simply pointing out what I have seen around.
Just consider it a fresh outsider perspective or similar. Standing outside,
I simply cannot come up with a good reason why a PO for an electronics
company would have to have completely different fields and options than a PO
for companies in lets say insurance industry. Now before you go and state
the obvious that the business processes for both these industries are
completely different, think about it from outside the box and outside of
that world. What we are trying to achieve is automation of the business
process. You can divide a business process or any other process for that
matter into unit of works completely independent of each other. If you can't
your approach isn't quite hitting the nail. When this unit of work is
completely independent of any other UOW in the process then this UOW is
serving the exact same purpose for the insurance industry as it is for the
electronics industry. Perhaps what is happening is that we are carrying
information around in the POs that is really not relevent directly there but
is relevent further along after immediately processing the PO. In that case
we have not really defined PO as a completely independent unit of work and
more work is needed and my point was that this is the domain of a standards
body. In the end something like this will make business processing easier. I
hope you see my point.
Thanks for the link to the tutorial. I am familiar with X12 to the point of
understanding some basics but I will make sure to check it out.
Thanks
Sincerely,
Abid Farooqui