Subject: Re: WSFL, IBM, and WSDL

You are correct David about your assertion for the future. However, for
today that is most likely not the case. One thing we keep forgetting about
when using things like wireless networks, PDAs and the internet is data
security. Not only today's PDA's not really capable of handling things like
asymmetric cryptographic algorithms very efficiently, they also don't have
any strong security mechanisms built-in, that will allow placing sensitive
business data on them. Sensitive business data may simply mean that if and
when the PDA is misplaced by someone and if it gets into the wrong hands, it
gives that person an easy way in into some company's network. I hope soon
there will be solutions for this (passwords just don't cut it), including
bio security identification solutions etc. We should be ready for that no
doubt.
Sincerely,
Abid Farooqui

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lyon" <djlyon@one.net.au>
To: <ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 11:08 PM

Abid,

That's certainly one view.

Who has the (technical) client and who has the server is not going to be
obvious as it once was.

If a consultant (even an EDI consultant) does some work for a large company
and needs to bill. There's no reason why it can't be done from their PDA
directly back to the corporation straight away and via some wireless
mechanism like 3G or a net link. They could check their PDA to see if the
money had been paid.

In that case, who has the client and who has the server. Neither really
because they are both peers. This is how the future of business is more
likely to be.

Also, handheld technology only trails in power big computer room technology
by about 12 years. That means that anything that runs now in a computer room
will run in a portable version in about 12 years.

I remember working for a Value Added Network that once used MIPS computers.
At the time they were used to run trading accounts for thousands of
customers. Now, computers like that have less power than PDAs but they still
did the job.

Look at how Compaq was able to swallow Tandem; the once gem of non-stop
electronic commerce solutions.

So therefore, the processing power that a Plumber is going to have in his
van will one day surpass anything that any large company with hundreds of
thousands of clients has today. We've already seen it happen, and it won't
stop.

These days, a modern PC has a 40gig hard drive which is enough space to hold
the UDDI information for every company in the world. And that's what the
Small Enterprise can afford !

Instead of designing for the past, with ancient paradigms, we should be
designing software for what we can do with the computers for next year, with
their 80 gig drives. That's what the plumber will be upgrading to next.

Take care

David Lyon
ebXML Evangalist