Subject: The initial ebXML business vocabulary - A call for a list of candidates

Mervyn,

It's a funny thing about ebXML but I'm told that there are
actually *no* defined messages yet, in the traditional sense.

Not at this point anyway.

However, practical neccessity will no doubt overide the
technical theorists and purists. This has to happen for ebXML
to ever work.

Where ebXML appears to be at the moment is that
there is a reluctance to make an executive commitment to
documenting some standard messages. This may be
due to lack of funds, or maybe a perceived difficulty
that a horizontal transaction set covering many industries
will be extremely difficult to do.

No matter, grass-roots support, from participants all
around the world, especially in developing countries, is
leading to the invevitable conclusion that a third-party
business/messaging vocabulary must be picked up for
ebXML to ever work.

The best way forward, rather than to build a new
vocabulary from scratch is to pick up and run with an
existing one. Then, over time, adapt that to suit
requirements.

I've checked out www.xcbl.org and noticed that
above everything, they provide a reasonably workable
XML based transaction set that could be used as
the basis to build an ebXML transaction set.

If there are any other candidates for an ebXML
then please mail me.

As ebXML runs under the United Nations banner, it's
a responsibility for people in all nations accross the
world to have their say on how they would like ebXML
to go forward, not only those based in Europe or
America.

Looking forward

David Lyon
ebXML Evangelist