Subject: RE: Production Rules for UML -> XML Conversion

A book that might help is "Modeling XML Applications with UML" by David
Carson, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0201709155. I've just started it, but in
skimming it for a "UML <--> XML" conversion I didn't find exactly that. It
does talk about:

	- Mapping UML to XML
	- Generating XML Schemas from UML class diagrams

Chris Bacon
San Francisco ComponentWorks, LLC

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Lee [mailto:ytlee@eti.hku.hk]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 3:52 AM
To: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
Subject: Production Rules for UML -> XML Conversion

Hi,

I would like to know where I could understand more about how to convert
a UML schema into an XML schema, or a UML instance specification to an
XML specification. The Technical Architecture document mentions about a
set of "Production Rules" that does the conversion. Any example for
those production rules? Can XMI do a perfect conversion from all UML
views to ebXML-compliant specfications? Seems it cannot.

To be specific, is there any software or a deterministic mechanism to
convert a UML activity diagram used for modeling a business transaction
(e.g. the "RequestInventoryReport" transaction in P.95 in the bpOVER) to
a BPSS specification in XML? What's about conversions for other views,
e.g. a class diagram for a core component to an XML form of core
component? Are these to be done manually?

Where can I find more examples on conversion between UML and XML
specifications?

Thank you for your advice.

Regards,
Thomas