Subject: Re: Definition of ' business transaction'

FWIW the ISO 10746-3 definition of a transaction is

13.7       Transaction function
13.7.1      Concepts

13.7.1.1 Transaction: An activity which leads to a set of object state
changes consistent with a dynamic schema (and its
constraining invariant schema).

13.7.1.2 Action of interest: An action in a transaction which leads to a
state change of significance to the transaction.

13.7.1.3 Visibility: The degree to which a transaction can access object
state concurrently with other transactions.

13.7.1.4 Recoverability: The degree to which object state changes resulting
from failed transactions are cancelled.

13.7.1.5 Permanence: The degree to which failures can affect object state
changes due to completed transactions.

The CPA's definition of a transaction is anything the client
was able to make stick, regardless of how he managed to
do it.  Many transactions are really pretty ambiguous, particularly
B2C, and disambiguating them sometimes results in lower sales.
Todd