Subject: RE: E: One potential XML mapping for ebXML Core Components

Paul,

Is there anything in the deliverables for the BIO project that includes
(XML-based) IT-enablement of the BIO library (which is to be modeled
using UML -UMM-)?

Shouldn't we address the XML-ization of the UML information model?
(After all, what are the last three letter in ebXML for?) In that case
we might need a consistent mechanism for doing the "Mappings from UML
(model management and static view) to XML Schemas." We should choose to
have such a consistent mapping mechanism across
standard-making-organizations and forums. I believe a great level of
synergies could be leveraged by having ebXML folks look into the
T1M1/ITU-T proposed "mappings"... We would not want this to be a one man
(organization) show. I know many folks in the ebXML community can very
well help us with inputs to optimize and refine our (T1M1/2001-100R4 &
132R1) proposed draft standards.

Thanks,

Raymond.
913-534-3405

-----Original Message-----
From: plevine [mailto:plevine@telcordia.com]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 10:42 AM
To: raymond.e.reeves
Cc: bhandspicker; ebtwg-ccs; ebxml-dev; knaujok; raymond.e.reeves;
t1m1dslsp; t1m1xml; umauom; jdc-icot; plevine
Subject: Re: [T1M1 XML] RE: One potential XML mapping for ebXML Core
Components

A project proposal has been submitted to the eBTWG to create a library
of
Business Information Objects (attached).  One source of input to this
project will be UML models of information extracted from X12 and
UN/EDIFACT
data dictionaries.  Other sources are indicated in the attached project
proposal.

Regards,

Paul Levine
(See attached file: BIO-Project Proposal.html)

                    raymond.e.reeves@mail.

                    sprint.com                    To:
bhandspicker@foliage.com,

ebtwg-ccs@lists.ebtwg.org, ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
                    09/14/01 10:29 AM             cc:
knaujok@home.com,

raymond.e.reeves@mail.sprint.com, t1m1dslsp@t1.org,
                                                  t1m1xml@t1.org,
umauom@lists.atis.org, (bcc: Paul R.
                                                  Levine/Telcordia)

                                                  Subject:     [T1M1
XML] RE: One potential XML mapping
                                                  for ebXML Core
Components

Hi all,

At the time, there is an effort within T1M1 to develop a
standard "Mapping of UML notation to XML Schemas (and vice versa)." This
is documented in T1M1/2001-100 and T1M1/2001-132R1.

These documents purport to define a mechanism for mapping UML model
management and static view to XML Schemas. In order to take advantage of
a critical set of features existing in XML Schemas (e.g. attributes,
elementGroup, etc.), these documents (implicitly) define a "UML profile
for XML Schemas".

These two documents are under review and may be merged together so that
there will be a section describing the UML profile for XML Schemas, a
set of mapping rules from UML notation to XML Schemas and an addendum
for describing additional extensions to support (initially) "Data
Dictionary" like capabilities (now rudimentary in 132) with profile
extensions to support the DD definition and mapping.

I believe the Core Components Data Dictionary could be modeled using UML
(and better yet, we could analyze the attributes used in it to make them
part of the DD profile properties -tagged values-) and use "UML profile
for Data Dictionary Definitions" stereotypes, properties (tag values),
etc. to model all what ebCC has defined. I believe we at T1M1 would
benefit from learning about ebXML's approach to define what a "Data
Dictionary" (or simply Data Dictionary Entry) looks like to them and
leverage on it.

It would be of great value to us all if a consistent "mapping mechanism"
is defined. As of now, there are several efforts within T1M1 (e.g., TA,
UOM, DSLsp, CLDR) where this mapping is crucial. Furthermore, ITU-T SG4
WP4 Question 9 has a work item for defining a "Mapping of UML to XML
Schemas" and T1M1/2001-100 (and its revisions) is the proposed standard
coming from T1M1.

Please consider these documents and provide comments, suggestions as
appropriate on style, approach, etc. It is important to us to have a
broad set of eyes to look into this effort on which many others are
anchored.

Thanks,

Raymond Reeves
Member of T1M1 tML/DSLsp/UOM AHG/WGs