Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Re: real life problem

Steve,
That approach (open source for low-end Intel hardware) is appealing to me...
I represent a consortium of software vendors that are taking our first few
tentative steps into Application Integration.  We provide software solutions
for the Television Advertising Bureau (www.TVB.org)  Our clients are TV
Stations (sellers) and Advertising Agencies (buyers) of TV airtime
advertising.  In the past, we (the software vendors that support these
clients) have taken to writing one-off integration points, and we are
finally recognizing the need to have our systems communicate with a common,
open set of standard XML-based transactions.  We are looking at ebXML to
provide the infrastructure for this new marketplace.

Thanks,
Paul Horan
Video Communications, Inc.
www.vcisolutions.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve McGough [mailto:smcgough@inttek.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 4:54 PM
To: b.eckenfels@seeburger.de
Cc: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org

Bernd,

It is my intention to have our application (EDI Plus) eventually support
ebXML
protocols as a default communication option.  Currently though we are still
studying ebXML.

EDI Plus is designed to receive EDI format data and then reformat it into
whatever
custom format is needed.  This can be used for receiving EDI data and
converting it
into a format used internally - or for sending data internally and
converting it
into EDI format for transmission.  We are looking into (eventually)
modifying EDI
Plus so it can receive standard EDI transmissions and reformat the data into
the
appropriate ebXML document for forwarding.  The intention is to provide a
solution
that will help with 2 scenarios:

(1) Organizations with current EDI infrastructure investment can use it to
convert
their EDI transmissions to ebXML(etc.) for transmission via the Internet,
etc. -
and receive ebXML(etc.) transmissions and convert it back to the EDI format.
Thus
they only have to add an external "translation module" and keep their
current
investment intact.

(2) Organizations that do not have EDI infrastructure, but need to
communicate with
groups using EDI (This is currently available).  If the client wishes, we
can
format the internal output to be in ebXML - but currently it outputs PHP.

What is somewhat unique about the application is that it has been developed
entirely using Open Source technologies and is designed to run on Open
Source
Operating Systems, Databases, etc.  We typically license the code to the
client, so
they can modify it as needed them selves (if they like).  The application
has been
developed using a highly structured "Object Oriented Like" engineering
methodology
we are planning on writing a publication about in the near future.  One of
the
advantages of having the application written with this method is that it
makes it
VERY easy to understand the logic of the application and modify it.  Thus
allowing
the end users MIS staff better understanding of the product.

We are considering (although this is still highly speculative) releasing an
open
source version of the system some time in the future.  I'm very interested
in
hearing others opinions on this type of approach.  Basically, it would
include a
small turn-key system that could be installed on low end Intel hardware.
Assuming:
(1) we implement the ebXML format in the system and (2) we do release it - I
think
it could provide a novel and cost effective solution.  Particularly for
businesses
in developing nations.

Thanks & I look forward to your input,

Steve

wrote:

>Hello,
>How is a Web Application related to ebXML and developing apps for it?
>Greetings
>Bernd
>Steve McGough wrote:
>>Thanks for the inquiry.  Inttek EDI / Web Based technologies have been in
>>use commercially for over a year and have received very positive
acceptance
>>from our client base.  Compared to traditional solutions, we are highly
cost
>>effective.

-----
Steve McGough