Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] Re: real life problem

Bernd,

It is my intention to have our application (EDI Plus) eventually support ebXML
protocols as a default communication option.  Currently though we are still
studying ebXML.

EDI Plus is designed to receive EDI format data and then reformat it into whatever
custom format is needed.  This can be used for receiving EDI data and converting it
into a format used internally - or for sending data internally and converting it
into EDI format for transmission.  We are looking into (eventually) modifying EDI
Plus so it can receive standard EDI transmissions and reformat the data into the
appropriate ebXML document for forwarding.  The intention is to provide a solution
that will help with 2 scenarios:

(1) Organizations with current EDI infrastructure investment can use it to convert
their EDI transmissions to ebXML(etc.) for transmission via the Internet, etc. -
and receive ebXML(etc.) transmissions and convert it back to the EDI format.  Thus
they only have to add an external "translation module" and keep their current
investment intact.

(2) Organizations that do not have EDI infrastructure, but need to communicate with
groups using EDI (This is currently available).  If the client wishes, we can
format the internal output to be in ebXML - but currently it outputs PHP.

What is somewhat unique about the application is that it has been developed
entirely using Open Source technologies and is designed to run on Open Source
Operating Systems, Databases, etc.  We typically license the code to the client, so
they can modify it as needed them selves (if they like).  The application has been
developed using a highly structured "Object Oriented Like" engineering methodology
we are planning on writing a publication about in the near future.  One of the
advantages of having the application written with this method is that it makes it
VERY easy to understand the logic of the application and modify it.  Thus allowing
the end users MIS staff better understanding of the product.

We are considering (although this is still highly speculative) releasing an open
source version of the system some time in the future.  I'm very interested in
hearing others opinions on this type of approach.  Basically, it would include a
small turn-key system that could be installed on low end Intel hardware.  Assuming:
(1) we implement the ebXML format in the system and (2) we do release it - I think
it could provide a novel and cost effective solution.  Particularly for businesses
in developing nations.

Thanks & I look forward to your input,

Steve