Subject: [ebxml-dev] [Fwd: RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components -postedfor Mary K Blantz -IONA Technologies]

Response posted at the request of original author, Mary Kay Blantz.
 Please forgive the duplicate posting if you've already seen this.

-------- Original Message --------
From: - Wed Apr 17 16:32:28 2002
Subject: RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components -posted for Mary K
Blantz -IONA Technologies
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:39:01 -0700
From: "Loos, Claus" <Claus.Loos@iona.com>
To: <mike@rawlinsecconsulting.com>, "edi-l" <EDI-L@yahoogroups.com>,
"ebxml-dev" <ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org>, "XML/EDI" <xmledi-group@disa.org>
Cc: "Blantz, Mary Kay" <marykay.blantz@iona.com>

As a former Co-Chair of ebXML Core Components, a current member of two of the ebXML Core Components Project Teams and the Chair of X12 Materials Management, I feel compelled to respond to some of Mike's comments.  While much of what he has said is true, I do not agree with his conclusions on Core Components.

It is likely that the Core Components project was the most ambitious of all the ebXML efforts; which probably made it the most likely to fail, but also the most likely to be of genuine global value.   The goal was the development of syntax-neutral, reusable building blocks that would allow interoperability no matter what syntax was being used.  This is an incredible goal, and requires the support and participation of widely diverse business and technical experts.

Some EWG and X12 subcommittees have agreed to work jointly on both Core Components and ultimately on the development of international XML documents.  Materials Management, for example, has made this decision.  This is excellent news for all businesses that will implement XML for their Materials Management processes.

Our previous attempts to align X12 and EDIFACT were helpful, but it would have been much better not to have two different syntaxes for the same business processes in the first place.  It is very exciting that if we are successful we will have one international XML standard message for any given business process, and through the work of ebXML Business Process and Core Components will be able to interoperate with the other syntaxes.  While this does not preclude companies developing their own special customized versions, it gives them the opportunity to align with the global standard and reduce costs for themselves and their trading partners.

The use of UIDs for Core Components, both Basic and Aggregate, is a key to interoperability.  When this concept is presented to groups developing their own XML, they greet this ability with enthusiasm and commitment.

The new ebXML Core Components Supplemental Documents Project Team is 'proving' the validity of the ebXML Core Components Technical Specification, while developing an end-to-end example based on an existing business process.  While our group is already quite large, we would welcome participation by additional business and technical experts.

The results of our work will be used to
* Recommend changes to the Technical Specification, if any are needed
* Serve as a basis for the CC Primer, which will be used by teams all over the world to discover Core Components

I am sure that our Chair, Melanie McCarthy, would invite anyone to join our list serve, participate in our conference calls, and attend our meetings.  The next meeting will be help May 20th to 24th, in Barcelona.

For CCSD:
Boeing and why chosen
Ultimate goal to do ebXML BP and CC end-to-end example
Detailed steps
	Learned that the BP Worksheets need change and didn't help much
	Learned that an accurate Class Diagram is critical
Way we worked
Team list
List serve
Spreadsheet