ebxml-dev message

Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components

(Long list of reply-to's removed - just copied to ebxml-dev)
See responses in-line.

Aingworth, Brian wrote:

>Hi - This is my first post to this very informative newsgroup.
>1. I am currently generating some requirements for a repository. One of the
>candidates I was looking at was the ebXML Registry Specs, which I see are
>free. After reading this post I was wondering if anyone knows of other
>approaches to Repositories/Registries that are based on Industry Standards
>which scale to the enterprise level. In other words if the ebXML Spec will
>not gain a popular following, what do you think will?
I really don't know of any other approaches to registries that are based
on a public specification such as the ebXML Registry specs.  Despite my
comments about it, I would say that if you are going to do a general
purpose registry (as opposed to the somewhat specialized UDDI registry),
are concerned about interoperability with other registries, and want
something based on open specifications/standards, I would recommend the
ebXML Registry.  I just am not yet convinced of the utility of such
registries on a wide scale basis ;^)

>2. Does the OAGI's support to transport the OAGIS over ebXML make any
>difference with how well ebXML will be received into the business community?
Probably, yes, as far as the ebXML messaging service is concerned.

>3. Does it appear to anyone that a full implementation of ebXML that uses
>SOAP for messaging would migrate quite nicely to Web Services?
Depends entirely on what *you* mean by "web services" ;^)  In general,
my perception of what most people are calling "web services" would find
ebXML messaging a bit heavyweight.