Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components ... RATHOLE!

Mike,

Continuing to slide down your rat hole....is the concept of "on a chip" what
we used to call firmware? Just asking....

Rachel

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Rawlins [mailto:mike@rawlinsecconsulting.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 9:51 AM
To: David Lyon
Cc: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components
... RAT HOLE!

RAT HOLE RAT HOLE RAT HOLE!!!

I must be crazy to keep this going - I know I have better things to do.
 See comment in-line.

David Lyon wrote <snipped>:

>Mike,
>
>>Neither says anything about an *embedded* ("on a chip") web server like
>>Apache.
>>

>I'm afraid you are wrong.
>
>The Rabbit chip comes with an excellent development kit which features a
>full implementation of TCP/IP. You can check the link out yourself at:
>
>http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/rcm2200/rcm22_devkit.html
>
>To quote from their documentation:
>
>"Full TCP/IP source code is provided in addition to the Dynamic C software
>on CDROM. ICMP, HTTP (includes facilities for SSI, CGI routines, cookies,
>and basic authentication), SMTP, FTP and TFTP (client and server)
>capabilities are provided"

My point exactly.  What's your background David?  Is it business or is
it technical?  If it were the latter, I think you would immediately know
the difference between TCP/IP source code and software on CD-ROM vs.
functionality that is physically burned onto a chip.

All of the software mentioned here runs *on* the chip.  It is not hard
coded "into" the chip.  Do you see the difference?

Assuming that the light bulb has gone off, I think you'll understand my
point about ebXML "on a chip" being a fantasy...

Then again, maybe we just have a different understanding about what "on
a chip" means.

Now, I really do have better things to do.

Cheers,