Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Running ebXML on a chip...

Brilliant discussion on ensuring ebXML's relevance to SMME's, products
simply must be easy to use and priced right for this domain.

In addition to those large vendors alluded to below, we have progressed a
long way in porting our product to an appliance device which will be ready
at the end of May.  A prototype will be on show at the ebXML stand at XML
Europe, in Barcelona and we will be presenting a paper on this topic during
ebXML day on the 23rd of May.

Looking forward to meeting some of you there.
Regards
Leanne
Leanne Luger
leanne@zenaptix.com
Tel: +27 (21) 882 8240

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrzej Jan Taramina [mailto:andrzej@chaeron.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 1:50 AM
To: zack2@cris.com
Cc: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org

Zack:

> What are you thoughts of running ebXML as an appliance (i.e., embedded)
> application?

I think this will be a very "good thing" for ebXML adoption.  For mass
acceptance by
SME's a turn-key appliance is just the ticket.  I don't know of too many
SME's that
could afford to care and feed for a J2EE infrastructure (which will likely
be the ebXML
tech platform of choice for the big boys), now would they have any interest
in doing
such even if they could afford it (no business benefit to them).

By way of real-world example, IBM has had a lot of success with their AS-400
line
(and it's precursor S36/38 machines) by reducing the level of IT expertise
required to
run these boxes, and thereby captured a large market share in the ME market
(especially in the manufacturing sector).

I could see that turnkey ebXML platforms (appliances) would be very
attractive to
SME's, and wide deployment of such machines would then motivate the bigger
trading partners to provide ebXML gateways as well.

Speaking of which, more than one large technology vendor is considering just
such
ebXML appliance products.

...Andrzej

Chaeron Corporation