Subject: Re: AW: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components ...

Todd,

Some good points.

> >One point that I would like to make is that with SBCs (Single board
> >computers) it is quite feasible to put an accounting system on one of
those.

> Of course,  I fully agree, and hope it happens.  In fact, I sincerely
> doubt whether ebXML or any other exchange of business transactions
> will get beyond the stage of purchase order, until the SME has better
> security.   Windows or Linux will not be secure enough for users
> to operate as a bastion host on the internet, for many years, if ever.
> They are not even secure enough for money transactions when
> hidden behind firewalls.

Linux SBC computers can be extremely secure. For a start you can pull out
the hard drive and run everything from CDROM or ROM. It really takes a good
hacker to change a program when it's written to rom. Hard drives are the
cause of many "evils" in the computer word, they are a hackers playground.

> Of course,  I fully agree, and hope it happens.  In fact, I sincerely
> doubt whether ebXML or any other exchange of business transactions
> will get beyond the stage of purchase order, until the SME has better
> security.   Windows or Linux will not be secure enough for users
> to operate as a bastion host on the internet, for many years, if ever.
> They are not even secure enough for money transactions when
> hidden behind firewalls.

I think Linux can be made quite secure. I think the challenge for SMEs is
ease of use and reliability. At the moment, the fax machine and email,
neither which are at all secure seems to serve them quite well. We have to
hope that most SMEs eagerly await ebXML.

Regards

David