Subject: [ebxml-dev] EbXML/Linux/SMEs (was RE: Article on ebXML Core Components)

On 4/24/02 6:37 PM, "Peter Harrison" wrote:

> Linux has just been deployed by the TSB Bank in New Zealand, it will be
> operating all their desktops. The sterotype of Linux of being a techie/geek
> solution is no longer true.
>
> I'm writing this email on a HP machine running Red Hat, and my web server has
> been running Linux for over two years - with exactly zero crashes due to OS
> failure (two hardware failures). I hardly ever need to touch it.

Peter,

I know this topic is not related directly to ebXML development. However, I
just can not be silent when the topic of Linux comes up :-(

I have been using Linux for more years than I can remember. Many of my ebXML
colleges have made fun of me having had Linux on my laptop over the years.
As to the topic, ebXML/Linux/SME, I disagree with you. Linux is GREAT as a
server solution, there is no question about that. I still use it that way,
now and most likely for a long time to come. But as a desktop for SME's, no
way!!!

I consider myself a Linux expert, and as such I know had it not been for my
technical background, my Linux desktop system would not function properly as
required in a business environment. With every update, I must check if my
hardware settings are OK because some of it is to new to have the
appropriate drivers. Simple things like backup to a CD/DVD writer can drive
a SME over the edge. Leave alone the time it takes to chase down the
applications required for doing business.

As I said, I have been using Linux for many years for my servers and on my
laptop. However, as of 23 Dec 2001, I switch to another Unix system that I
believe provides everything Linux users wanted in a desktop - OS X. Now
there is a system that is ideal for a Desktop that is stable, never crashes,
and at the same time provides a user interface that is second to none. Add
to that the fact it has commercial, as well as open-source, products for
business use. Last but not least, it is a great development system, if not
the best, for Java development.

BTW, this email is composed on my OS X system (client) and pushed out to the
net via my Linux Gateway (server) :-)

Regards,

Klaus

--
Klaus-Dieter Naujok             UN/CEFACT/eBTWG & TMWG Chair
IONA Technologies, Santa Clara, CA, Chief Scientific Officer