Subject: RE: AW: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components ...

If the ebXML technology isn't TOTALLY transparent to the user, especially
the SME, it will be just another EDI thing that they will avoid like the
plague.

ebXML MUST be under the hood and just run like a good engine. If the user of
fax had to deal directly with the underlying technical standards in order to
configure and use a fax machine, faxes would have died.

Rachel
Rachel Foerster
Principal
Rachel Foerster & Associates, Ltd.
Professionals in EDI & Electronic Commerce
39432 North Avenue
Beach Park, IL 60099
Phone: 847-872-8070
Fax: 847-872-6860
http://www.rfa-edi.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrzej Jan Taramina [mailto:andrzej@chaeron.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 8:06 PM
To: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
Subject: Re: AW: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core
Components ...

David said:

> I think Linux can be made quite secure.

True...but Linux requires a lot of technical care and feeding typically,
which most
SME's will steer clear of.

> I think the challenge for SMEs is ease of use and reliability.

Absolutely.  Turnkey would be ideal for many, especially in the medium tier.
Or
embedded in suitable applications for the smaller businesses.

> We have to hope that most SMEs eagerly await ebXML.

Here I disagree...in this economic climate, most SME's are pre-occupied with
survival..increasing revenue, decreasing costs.  They are not awaiting
ebXML....I
would bet most SME's probably have not even heard of ebXML.

Just "hoping" for such a response is likely to be futile.  That level of
interest and
adoption will require a concerted effort on the part of vendors to "build
in" ebXML
capability into turnkey systems, appliances, and applications (eg.
Quicken)....coupled
with a lot of support and direction from the standards bodies, adoption by
some of
the large players, and a clear demonstration of business/economic benefits
(ROI)
before the SME's get interested enough to jump on the ebXML band wagon.

Instead of hoping...start rolling up your sleeves.  <grins>

...Andrzej

Chaeron Corporation
http://www.chaeron.com