Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Problem of "B2B Content" article

From a philosophical perspective, the 'chain' is fundamentally
anonymous.  Therefore, the linkage of the chain is a pseudo-ism, i.e.,
the contract can/could/should exist only between the direct endpoints of
communication.  The sum of the connecting endpoints represents the chain
itself.

That said, the context and/or content can and should be asymmetrical
across the chain, but not between the endpoint themselves.  If it was
symmetrical one might argue that all Purchase Orders look are 'this', by
which the inflexibility is guaranteed unmanageable across the chain
itself from the real world perspective.

The corporate 500-lb gorilla can dictate the terms of the representation
of its business processes, but that also represents the smallest
percentage of the entire chain.  It would not be feasible to believe
that smaller businesses in the chain would rapidly adopt standards based
on companies that they have no relationship.  Remembering that large
orders directed by a large corporation will filter into many
micro-orders downstream, whereby the B2B relationship between suppliers
becomes de-linked from the origin.  Simply put, proliferation and
penetration of new standards is associated (but not dictated) top-down
throughout the chain.

From recent conversations with various corporations this asymmetrical
view is not only real, it is built into corporate infrastructure.  You
would be amazed at efforts spent on collecting and processing
asymmetrical data.  Inherently, this cannot and will not change quickly
as publisher and receiver must agree on format and new initiatives must
be funded and built on both ends of the wire.  While this may be a
worthwhile goal downstream, there is considerable push-back in the
current state.

While standards are the most important part of the overall solution, it
is the connectivity between the standard-based symmetrical
representation and the nonstandard-based asymmetrical representation
that is the best effort at a utopian solution.

-Matt Long
Phalanx Systems, LLC

http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2864835,00.h
tm