Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] gorilla hair vs. beach balls

Duane,

Ok, I understand now where we differ. I use "web services" not to simply
mean a programming interface...

You are reading it as programming interface vs ebXML which of course is
a silly question, hence your comments.

We could probably spend a great deal of time on what the term "web
services" now means. More so these days however it is becoming a general
term to mean service orientated architectures. Ask someone to explain
web services and they will talk about two applications working over
interoperable protocols with contracted services.  This is the
definition I was using while constructing the poll. This goes beyond a
programming interface definition, to one which takes in distributed
message exchanges within an IT architecture

I accept the view of this group that ebXML and web services (in the
programming interface definition) can not be compared. They are apples
and oranges.

It is all about perspective, and I will bear in mind this discussion in
future polls. Obviously it is not as simple to say ebXML vs web services
since people understand this to mean different things. I have now closed
the poll.

Thanks for your kind comments on the site. I am always keen to post news
on ebXML and if anyone has any, please send it to
submissions@webservices.org

By the way, I never placed the poll up to gain traffic or start
something between ws and ebxml. This is in response to the email sent to
this group that accused me of this.

Cheers
colin

Then
> you could make comparison based on several criteria:
>
> abstracts programming language from class?
> network lag?
> etc...
>

> > >From what I see there seems to be a general split in the industry
> > between "web services" products (things that use the protocols
above)
> > and those that use ebXML. A web services product is for example an
IDE