Subject: [ebxml-dev] RE: elevator pitches (was) gorillas, beaches, etc.

At 11:00 PM 6/18/02, Bill Morgan wrote:
Gartner (Wes Rishel & Jess Thompson) talked today at a Web Services conference in L.A. to a group of about 400 people and basically addressed ebXMLas inadequate as unable to fulfill the "hype".  They did say that the ebXML Message Service Handler is the only secure way to collaborate (vs. SOAP), but the standard will not be broadly adopted because it will soon be replaced by a W3C standard. ***

Not live up to our hype?  Gee, did we have hype?

I have seen some of the Gartner comments;  they certainly do strive to be 'social conditioning' pundits.   Their views seem to come more from a vendor-centric than adopter-centric vantage point, though.

They seem overly ignorant of adopter concerns about vendor-influence issues, and overly confident that W3C will act in a coordinated manner.  (If only!)   Perhaps Wes is confusing W3C with WS-I ... which I'm sure would be pleasing to WS-I.  Of course, as I recall, Wes' company has said elsewhere that WS-I is going to flail around aimlessly for a while due to internal catfights.

If we get the fundamentals right, the pundits will come around.  Most are reactive rather than proactive, so I doubt it makes much sense to directly evangelize them or worry too much about their opinion du jour.

Bill, are you still in town?  I will comment further off list.  Regards  Jamie

~ James Bryce Clark
~ VP and General Counsel, McLure-Moynihan Inc.   www.mmiec.com
~ Chair, US ABA Business Law Subcommittee on Electronic Commerce
~ www.abanet.org/buslaw/cyber/ecommerce/ecommerce.html
~ 1 818 597 9475   jamie.clark@mmiec.com   jbc@lawyer.com
~ This message is neither legal advice nor a binding signature.  Ask me why.