Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] BPSS and WSCI

Mr. Rawlins and all,

I think you are confusing the states of an external
business deal with the internal states of the private
internal business apps.

They are not the same.

The business states that need to be synchronized
must be simple and agreed-upon by both trading
partners in a business transaction.

They only refer to the milestones in a deal where
the parties would shake hands and say "I agree"
if they were sitting across a table.

For example, in an offer-acceptance transaction
(such as a purchase order), the end states that
are interesting might include whether the offer
was accepted or rejected.

These agreements on the state of the deal
happen one way or another in trad EDI, too.
Just slightly differently.

There is a lot of confused discussion in many
circles right now about Web "transactions".
Most of the confusion comes from thinking
of them as database or internal workflow
transactions.  They get much easier if
you think of them as normal external
business deal handshakes.

-Bob Haugen