Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] BPSS and WSCI

Jean-Jacques put this very nicely:

At 04:07 AM 6/25/02 -0400, Jean-Jacques Dubray wrote:

><JJ> The fundamental achievement of BPSS is the state synchronization
>between two (business) parties, whether this is part of a "commitment"
>or a more casual message interchange. In any B2B message exchange (even
>between a travel agent and an airline) this is mandatory. Imagine the
>cost of getting periodically out of synch with your business partners?

While I agree with these statements, I must also note that they also point
out one of the more formidable problems that application vendors will have
in supporting the BPSS.  Every application already has it's own state
machine.  These state machines are usually organized around the point of
view of internal business processes (for example, many systems won't let
you invoice without an order, or invoice without first indating that the
ordered goods have been shipped).   Implementing a BPSS will require one to
map the states of these existing machines onto those specified in the
BPSS.  So, added to the burden of mapping application data to UIDs (or EDI
data elements in our current world), vendors and/or end users have to map
application states to BPSS process states.  That's fine so long as the BPSS
states are uniform (like a defined dictionary of states), but if they are
different then life gets very complicated (much more so than just
supporting both X12 and EDIFACT invoices).  In addition, if the BPSS
specifies a state that can't be easily matched to an internal application
state, then either application modifications are required in order to
support the state or the user is forced to intervene and handle that state
"out-of-band" as a manual exception.

And about getting "out of synch" with your business partners - I'm sure
that there are a few people who have this problem and for them I'm sure
that it is a big problem.  However, most application systems I've worked
with that support e-Business in any serious fashion are already configured
to avoid this type of thing.  I don't see it as a major concern for most users.

This leads me to the conclusion that while the BPSS and the UMM upon which
it is based may be valuable tools for documenting and agreeing on business
processes (for those who find ROI in using them), I see little utility for
them in the near future for actually automating the execution of business
processes.

Mike (OK - so I still see the glass half empty ;^) )

www.rawlinsecconsulting.com