Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Gartner and ebXML

Thank you very much, but I wouldn't fault Gartner.  This definition has all
the marks of being a fairly low value, greatest common denominator
consensus definition that was the best that competing interests could
hammer out in committee.  What's wrong with it?  Here goes:

It is so general as to cover almost anything using XML on the internet in
almost any fashion.  There has been a debate in the community about whether
or not "web services" really has anything to do with the web, since some
web service resources are only accessible via IP address and port number
and not via a URL, URLs being the hyperlinked essence of the current
Web.  W3C neatly punted on this issue by saying that the application can be
identified by a URI, which of course can be a URL which points to something
or a URN which is only a name.

How about "capable of being defined, described, and discovered by XML
artifacts" - I can describe nearly anything using an appropriate XML based
language.   Being "discovered" by an XML artifact is somewhat of a
nonsequiter.  How does an instance document do discovery?  Can a schema or
stylesheet do discovery?

Let's look at "internet-based" protocols.  Does Kermit run over a telnet
session classify as an internet based protocol?

The commonly held definition promoted in the trade press equates Web
Services with XML, SOAP, and UDDI.  That's still pretty fuzzy, but more
specific than this blurb that covers only one of the three.

Sorry, but I don't find even the W3C very enlightening in this area.  I'm
usually not a big defender of Gartner, but don't beat up on them for this!

(Isn't it nice to know that Mike can rag on about something other than ebXML?)

Cheers,

Mike