Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Gartner and ebXML

Title: RE: [ebxml-dev] Gartner and ebXML

Again ... it seems that you hardware and software folks ... are still confused ... the problems are not in protocols or applications ... rather .. the problem is still ... as it has always been with ebXML .. XML (and yes even with X12 and others until they got their act together) ..and other ebased objects... standardization of message structure in defining and likewise using these standards to enable all users to then interpret the messages .. regardless of the method of exchange.  With out this ... you can criticize each others opinions from now until the 28th century ... without achieving an inch of real forward progress.

Again ...  Thanks ...

Gene Hockemeyer
Senior Programmer
Alcas Corporation
1116 East State Street
Olean, New York  14760-0810
(716) 372-3111 ext  3054
ghockemeyer@alcas.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kacandes [mailto:Peter.Kacandes@Sun.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 3:36 PM
To: steve.capell@redwahoo.com; ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org

Its funny that Gartner likes to talk about standards, but is clueless when it
comes to the standard definition of a web service:

 | Definition: A Web service is a software application identified by a URI,
 | whose interfaces and binding are capable of being defined, described and
 | discovered by XML artifacts and supports direct interactions with other
 | software applications using XML based messages via internet-based
 | protocols
 |
 | http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-wsa-reqs-20020429#N100CB

regards

pk

>Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:20:00 -0500
>From: Brian Repko <brian_repko@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Gartner and ebXML
>To: steve.capell@redwahoo.com, ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
>
>Steve,
>
>Thanks for the selected excerpts.  However, in looking again
>through the material, there are lots of discussions on B2B
>scenarios for web services and again, ebXML does not come
>up.  I did find a reference to ebMS but that was the only
>part of ebXML that came up.  That reference is in a presentation
>(A7 for those that have it too!) by Jess Thompson and Wes Rishel
>that discusses  standardization of semantics and never mentions
>Core Components (and yes, I realize that that is not *technically*
>a part of ebXML).  It is in fact comparing RosettaNet PIPs
>against BPMI (ignoring external vs internal workflow) and never
>mentions BPSS.  It discusses UDDI (with caution) but never
>mentions RegRep.
>
>For it's part it clearly supports ebMS...but it stops there
>and never mentions other parts of the framework when their
>direct counterparts and solution space is being addressed.
>
>It is also a bit upsetting that in a seminar with 29 presentations
>on application integration, that not one describes the ebXML
>framework - OSI comparison or not - Gartner should at least describe
>the business problems that ebXML was designed to solve.  Perhaps
>that is how it gets marketed.
>
>My .02 USD
>
>Brian

Peter Kacandes

Sr. Product Manager, Java XML APIs      phone number:   408 276 7139, X17139
Java Software Products                  email:  peter.kacandes@sun.com