Subject: [ebxml-dev] Re: ebXML doubts - Project Requirements

Fraser,

I would suggest focusing attention on the project requirements and how ebMS
extends the capabilities of SOAP in order to meet those requirements.

Highlight the fact that you are in agreement regarding the use of SOAP with
Attachments (SWA) and then go on to discuss how SOAP was designed to be
simple and extensible so that it could be enhanced to provide the full
functionality required by real-world B2B projects.  Position ebMS as an
extension of SWA that will address specific project requirements with
respect to reliable messaging and security.

If there are requirements pertaining to message acknowledgement,
retransmission and timeout, message persistency, non-repudiation, error
notification, authentication, authorization etc. you should be able to
describe them in business terms and talk about how ebMS meets those
requirements.  If the project does not have such requirements then maybe
ebMS is overkill and SWA by itself will suffice.  You need requirements that
justify the acquisition, deployment and operation of the ebMS Message
Service Handler(s).

It should be made clear that ebMS does not involve any substantially new
technology, it simply brings together common standards such as XML, SOAP and
digital signatures.  Also, ebMS is an independent component/specification
that does not entail having to adopt any other pieces of the ebXML
framework.  The conversation should not be complicated by discussions about
ebBPSS, ebCPPA etc, unless these components would be suitable for the
project.  It's not about ebXML versus Web Services, it's about evaluating
the use of ebMS as an extension of SOAP in order to meet the requirements of
the project in the most timely and cost effective manner.

Richard J. Moon
Crescent Business