Subject: RE: [ebXML-dev] UBL versus OAGI BODs?

Andrzej,

As for the amount of overlap between OAGIS and UBL...yes, as you state in your message below OAGIS has equivalent messages to what UBL proposes and plus more...
UBL's documentation says this scenario supports in their words  (see section 5.1 of the draft documentation) " a basic, usable trading cycle from Order to Invoice between Buyer and Seller". It does not support, again in their words

OAGIS has a rich library of components based on a much larger set of messages that have been developed and tuned based on feedback from actual implementations over the last many years. Our component library is quite comprehensive because it has developed over the years with support for many scenarios and messages. Including those above that UBL says they do not support. We have mulitple scenarios for usage of each message, and the content of each message reflects the breadth and scope of our scenarios. Also, we work with vertical industries to come up with new messages/ fine tune our messages based on new scenarios provided by our user base.
As for the use of CoreComponents, OAGIS 8.1 Beta which is also available for public review from the www.openapplications.org site, includes full support for CCTS 1.90.

I hope this helps to specifically answer your questions.

Thanks,
Michael Rowell
Open Applications Group

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrzej Jan Taramina [mailto:andrzej@chaeron.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 11:53 AM
To: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org

David:

Thanks for all the info....but maybe I didn't pose my question as specifically as
I should have.

How much overlap in payload documents is there between UBL and OAG
BOD's?  Let's leave off the question of what fine-grained components these
documents are built from (CC's), or the political structures of the organizations,
since my interest is regarding the actual business documents themselves.

I know that OAG provides XML schema definitions (BODs) for documents like
Purchase Orders, ASN's, Invoices and more.

Does UBL provide similar document schemas?  And if so, how much overlap
is there in the offerings?  If there is an overlap, how compatible would a UBL
PO be with an OAG PO BOD?  If there is a significant overlap, it raises the
question of why we need two document standards?

Or has UBL delivered only CC's which are the fine-grained building blocks that
can (should) be used to create complete business documents?

Thanks....

......Andrzej (without enough time to go an research UBL deliverables)

> Good question.  OAGIS has a core component working team that you can join
> by going here:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OAGI-CoreComponents/
>
> Both OAGIS XML and UBL will be contributing their core component work to
> UN/CEFACT.  Both are built by not-for-profit consortiums with open
> processes and Royalty-Free IP Policies.
>
> UBL is quite new as you know, and OAGI has been building their library of
> core components since 1995 and have customers running OAGIS XML live in at
> least 40 countries around the world.  OAGIS XML is a solution today for
> thousands of users and is quite rich in functionality.  OAGIS XML is
> perhaps the leading business language for ebXML implementations today and
> is being deployed all over the world as such.
>
> OAGI has been working with ebXML & UN/CEFACT since ebXML was formed as UBL
> is now working with UN/CEFACT.  OAGIS donated their entire body of OAGIS
> XML work to ebXML in 2001 and OAGIS was recently elected as a
> Participating International User Group to the MoU on e-Business Standards,
> which is run by the four worlds de jure standards bodies.  UBL's parent
> organization is also a part of the user group like OAGIS.
>
> Although there seems to be overlap in the efforts, usually the more smart
> people working on something the better and as UN/CEFACT moves towards
> harmonizing CC efforts, both OAGIS XML and UBL will make their
> contributions, along with others who choose to do so.

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com