Subject: Re: XML serialization of CCs / BIEs (was: contact information)

<Quote>
Are there other similar actvities I should be aware of?
</Quote>

Pim,

Sorry for the late response on this - I believe you're already aware of
this but just for the benefit of others, the OASIS/ebXML Registry TC is
in the process of creating an RIM (Registry Information Model) binding
for representing Core Components in an ebXML Registry. I am in the
process of writing the Technical Note, and hope to complete it in early
2004.

I would like to emphasize that this effort does not involve an XML
serialization - rather, we will rely on other groups (such as UN/CEFACT
ATG 2) to create such a serialization. The Technical Note will address
how to represent the Core Components metadata (Chapter 7 of the Core
Components Technical Specification) in the RIM, using existing RIM
classes where possible and extending the RIM with "custom" classes
otherwise. The only relation to an XML serialization is that we will
provide the capability for the registry to record the format of a Core
Component (and its associated entities), e.g. XML, UML model, etc.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Pim van der Eijk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am interested in this topic.  I would like to make sure I understand
> what the scope of this activity is. In particular, am I correct to
> interpret this as an XML representation that could serve as an
> alternative for the Excel sheets as used in UBL CEFACT to encode Core
> Components or BIEs, or does it have a different purpose ?
>
> Would it be just an interchange representation, or would it also
> support authoring (data definition)?
>
> My interest is the following: in a project (on interchange of data
> across government agencies) I am involved in we have about 400 BIEs
> defined in a 150 page Word document that serves as specification for a
> collection of XML schemas for interchange documents. To alleviate
> maintenance, our plan is to transform the Word document to an XML
> document from which we can generate the XML schema and documentation
> in a consistent way in the next couple of weeks, a bit like the UBL
> XLS to XSD Perl script but then using XSLT.
>
> It seems that an XML schema corresponding to the UBL worksheets would
> be a fairly simple schema.  In our case we would need to extend it in
> a number of areas (metadata, documentation elements). We will do this
> ourselves, but if there is some starting point, in ATG2 or by other
> initiatives (like Duane's) we could use (to facilitate migration to
> some future standard format), that would be great.
>
> Could you give me an update on the current state of this work?
> Are there other similar actvities I should be aware of?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Pim van der Eijk
>
> --------
> Mobile/SMS/MMS: +31 6 22502011

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano