Did ebXML Help Accelerate the Web Services Evolution?

I'm in a bit of a "controversial" (tongue-in-cheek) mood today, so I
thought I'd through this out and see what comes back. My thoughts are
spurred by a book on that I am currently reading. Please note as you
read this that I am in a position in which I am vendor neutral.

3 years ago, when the first phase of ebXML was getting ready to wind
down, I was a mere observer on various listservs, so I don't have the
perspective of someone who was in the throws of things. However, I've
been thinking: Did ebXML Help Accelerate the Web Services Evolution?

More specifically: I understand that there was a "schism" of sorts at
one point (exactly when I am not sure) in which several major vendors
pulled out of ebXML. These vendors happen to be those that are
considered to be the driving forces behind Web Services (by this I mean
the "SOAP/WSDL/UDDI"). Web Services.

I wonder - if this "schism" did not take place (assuming that it indeed
did), would Web Services have taken off as quickly as they did? Did this
"schism" give more motivation to these vendors to evolve the "base" Web
Services standards as quickly as they were evolved? What if these
vendors had not pulled out of ebXML? What would the landscape look like
now?

Thoughts? Comments?

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano