Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] [Fwd: On Page 18 of the ebXML Business Process Specification Schema it gives an example of a notification transaction]

Jim,

thanks for the kind message.

i think it is important to take ebXML with a pinch of salt.  the objective
for ebMXL, espoused in most of there specs is that it is intended for SME's
to participate in EDI like transacting.  but there is more to it, you see,
this is not EDI, the core of the system is that piece you are working on,
the BPSS.  if you think of the BPSS schema as merely a template of
interactions you will support, and how we will interact, it should come
clear that all we are doing with that is saying "hey, i want to send you
this, to which i expect that in return, as acknowledgement, and then the
next thing".  thats all we do in the BPSS.  but there is a BPSS schema, put
out by OASIS, which dictates the acceptable memebrs and the framework within
which we talk.  after that, we build our own BPSS schema, called
"mycompanyBPSS.xsd" or whatever, which details how i operate inrelation to
business processes.

at the risk of sounding boring, lets look at the accounts department.  they
open envelopes, put cheques in them, enter invoices into the accounts
payable and all that.  with ebXML we redesign the process, less opening is
done, more chasing accounts is done.  furthermore, we can even redisign the
whole department given we are now no longer opening envelopes, but checking
accounts as a job.  as we redefine functions, we do not need to cut staff,
but look for "VALUE ADDING" tasks, and i gave one above "checking account
consistancy".

but that aside, BP becomes important in terms of the funtions we currently
serve, and also how we will handle tomorrows world.  also, by looking at BP
we hopefully identify explicit message instances, so that we do not
duplicate stuff down the road.

have fun.

dean hemopo
auckland, new zealand