Re: another question

Dean

you may be interested in the experience of the UBL localization
subcommittees. they are translating UBL into Chinese, Japanese, Korean
and Spanish (with others to follow).

an interesting observation in this is that the tagnames are not the
target for translation. after all, tagnames are processed by
applications that don't really care what language they are in.
furthermore, to be interoperable you would like to have everyone using
the same schemas and hence tagnames.

so, in hong kong, your example would be something like...

<purchase>
	<number>12345</number>
	<customer_id>????</customer_id>
</purchase>

what is needed are translations of the semantics, that is to say, the
meaning of these tagnames. these may not be part of the document
instance or even the schema. In UBL they are part of a separate
information model for that locale.

PS more significant than translation is the fact that different regions
have different business practices. for example, a hong kong purchase
order may need a specific government business registration identifier.
so localizing is as much about accommodating different information
requirements as translating common ones.

--
regards
tim mcgrath