RE: ubl + ebxml = increased interoperability?

I concur with Mike's assessment of the current situation with regard to
adoption of the ebXML Core Components Technical Specification (CCTS)
version 2pt01. IMHO the most important content (as it relates to
interoperability) in the CCTS is contained in two tables, Table 8-1
"Approved Core Component Types" and Table 8-3 "Permissible
Representation Terms"

These two tables specify and define the foundation keys to
interoperability. In other words, I don't care whether you are promoting
ebXML, Web Services, your favorite vendor solution or any other latest
hype, until the entire planet reaches consensus on the basic definitions
of basic core component building blocks, interoperability across
disparate applications will simply remain a dream.

The fundamental core component building blocks include the following -
extracted from CCTS v 2.01 Tables 8-1 and 8-3.

Amount
Binary Object (e.g., Graphic, Picture, Sound, Video)
Code
Date Time (also includes Date and Time as specialized forms of Date
Time)
Identifier
Indicator
Measure
Numeric (includes Value, Rate and Percent)
Quantity
Text (also includes Name as a specialized form of Text)

All ebusiness related standards bodies should be reviewing these basic
building blocks and discussing the strengths and/or weaknesses and then
reaching consensus on a final set and then develop strategies for
migration of their current standards.

Ron Schuldt
Senior Staff Systems Architect
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
11757 W. Ken Caryl Ave.
#F521 Mail Point DC5694
Littleton, CO 80127
303-977-1414