Re: bpss abstraction

BRyan:

 All other details are minor configuration details - endpoints, protocol
used, security conf, payload etc.So right you are!   All electronic
processes, if decomposed and abstracted are exactly the same in the
technological view (also called FSV view in ebXML speak) - one end point
sends  a stream of bits and bytes to another endpoint.  We can call the
basic unit of work a Business Transaction (BT) - a simple send and
send-back pair (always in pairs).

When you start to aggregate those into larger orchestrations, the
patterns become more complex.  Each Business Transaction must be
initiated by a signal of some sort. In any good process execution
engine, there should be conditions that guard against the signal being
sent to initiate a BT before some other condition(s) are correct.

Architecturally, BPSS should act like sheet music does for an orchestra.
 It just says how all the individual bits come together when you perform
a song, in what order and when.  It composes those out of notes that are
semantically meaningful to those who read them.  We just overlay our own
melodies into  the notation that the sheet music specifications allow in
order to ensure others understand our music and can play it.

Duane

BTW - on that note:  It is kind or ironic how sheet music has outlasted
8 track, LP's, cassette's and now possibly CD's and MP3 eventually ;-)

--
Senior Standards Strategist
Adobe Systems, Inc.