Re: interoperability

At 01:40 PM 7/21/2004 +0200, Bryan Rasmussen wrote <snipped>:

>Hey,  in the report I'm writing I noted the concerns of Mike Rawlins
>vis-a-vis interoperability but went on to make the following argument
>
>"interoperability issues have been vigorously addressed by the ebXML
>community, via the OASIS Implementation, Interoperability and Conformance
TC
><http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-iic/> , interoperability
tests
>are regularly conducted by the Drummond Group (recent results here:
><http://www.ebusinessready.org/pr_ebxml.html> )  the European
>Interoperability ebXML - Pilot Project (located here
><http://www.cenorm.be/cenorm/businessdomains/businessdomains/isss/activit
y/e
>bxml_interop.asp> xml 2003 presentation abstract
><http://www.idealliance.org/papers/dx_xmle03/html/abstract/02-06-01.html>
>), the search for interoperability in the ebxml community seems
determined
>by governmental and non-vendor organizations who have an interest in
>assuring interoperability for all vendors, whereas in the Web Services
>community, as exemplified by WS-1 one could argue that interoperability
is
>undermined by vendors comprising the standards organization, and thereby
>using it as a political tool against competing vendors. "

If you review the various issues I raised regarding interoperability,  the

initiatives you cite deal primarily with "common security" and "common
data
transfer protocol" and don't address the other areas.  These work efforts
are important and necessary and certainly represent progress, but they
aren't sufficient.

>which I don't know how others see it but standing outside it does look to
me
>that ebXML's search for interoperability is more serious than that of the
>WS-1 group.

I don't contest tour general observation about the web services community,

I think you judge WS-I too harshly.   I don't know the inside politics and

motivations of WS-I, but from an outsider's viewpoint I don't see their
efforts as being substantially different in their sphere from the ebXML
efforts you cite.   Your report will be more credible if you tone down
your
comments.

>Then I make the following statement:
>"Interoperability is further enhanced by relying on UBL for providing the
>Common Expression, perhaps also Common Vocabulary. "

That would be fine, if you could get everyone to agree on UBL as the
common
expression  ;^)  (and common semantics and vocabulary as well).  However,
that still leaves the hurdle of common business processes.  Several
vertical industries are well along their way in this area, but we still
don't have a universally accepted cross-industry set of common business
practices.

Mike