Subject: Senator - USA crossing the Financial Rubicon

										Y/R: Aus-USA-FTA

TO:	Senator Peter COOK		 		cc	Australian Senators

	Chair - Senate Inquiry Aus-USA-Free Trade Agreement

	AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT

Dear Senator COOK

I e-mail as according to the Senate Web page "all Senate committees are
authorised to meet after any dissolution of the House of Representatives".

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/index.htm

This e-mail provides additional evidence from US Sources over US

Government policies and why the "US in now crossing the Financial

Rubicon for International Trade"

RESPONSE FROM TRADE MINISTER MISSED THE POINTS

On 11 Aug 2004 the Minister of Trade responded to my letter to the Prime
Minister on 04 July 2004.  My letter outlined how the US may be deceiving
Australia by non-disclosure on Chapter 16: Electronic Commerce

In his response the Minister of Trade totally missed the points made in the

letter.

The Minister stated "The US, given its economic importance, is often a

standards setter rather than a standards taker."

The issues in my letter were:

1	The US may have legislated for a US E-commerce Standard

2	The US had not disclosed that fact in the Treaty

3	The costs had not been factored into the financial calculations

4	Australian Business and Consumers would pay in perpetuity

My letter to the Minister of Trade included an extract from the

US book "Rogue Nation" by Clyde PRESTOWITZ 2003.

This extract warns about the 2002 Bush Administration "Trade Promotion
Authority Act".  The benefits of US International Tree Trade Agreements

(P58 - Do as I say, not as I do") are very dubious for US Trading partners.

This book includes references to 98 other books listing concern with

US Policies.

SPEECH TO US COMMONWEALTH CLUB 31 AUG 2004

Early this evening I received a copy of a speech by Mike RUPPERT

that he gave on 31 Aug 2004 to the Commonwealth Club in San

Francisco.

I have attached the speech as part of this e-mail because it it deals

with other examples of US Government deception.  This includes the

Iran-Contra Affair, BCCI and the 9/11 issue.

NEXT STEPS

Senator COOK there is still time to amended the FTA as there is a

60 days cooling off period (Chapter 23.4).  That date is 12 Oct 2004.

Given that the election is on 09 Oct 2004, does the Constitution

enable the "Senate Standing Committee into the FTA" to write to the

US requesting:

1	the reasons why the US had not disclosed that it had legislated for

	a Non-ISO E-commerce Standard for Financial Trade Transactions

	in Chapter 16: Electronic Commerce ?

2	As that key issue had not been disclosed, was the the Treaty

	still valid ?

3	would the US be prepared to disclose its calculations for

	E-commerce transactions ?

Further information on E-commerce transaction cycles for

Import/Export goods can be provided if required

Yours sincerely

Stephen GOULD

Chair - Management Committee

XML  & E-COMMERCE SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP

OPEN INTERCHANGE CONSORTIUM

E:	sggould@oic.org

T:	{61}(2) 9953-7412

W:	http://www.oic.org/z/XZIG/

Well, you can't say you haven't heard of Mike Ruppert before. He's just

published his long-promised "Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the

American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil". And here is the text of his

address to the Commonwealth Club, San Francisco, California, Tuesday, August

31, 2004. I reckon it's time to interview him ...

"What we are witnessing now is a collision: a collision of a financial

system -- relying on fractional reserve banking, debt-financed growth, and a

fiat currency system -- with a system of planetary and energy resources that

are finite, limited, and running out. Infinite growth is battling with

finite energy. One is not possible without the other, and I have absolutely

no doubt as to which side will win."

This speech is long, but a must read for anyone interested in the future of

the United States, peak oil, 9/11, the 2004 election, and related topics.

There are very few journalists digging up credible new information about

9/11, but this speech -- a teaser for Ruppert's upcoming book -- is full of

critical information that should be on the front page of every newspaper on

the planet.  It would be difficult to exaggerate the importance of this

information.

Address of Michael C. Ruppert at the Commonwealth Club, San Francisco,

California, Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Thank you for that gracious introduction.

Let me begin by thanking Pat Lamken for inviting me to be here today and for

her efforts to arrange ­ what is certainly for me ­ a historic landmark in

my 26 years of work to bring to light information ­ vitally important, life

and death, information ­ which has been virtually ignored by the mainstream

media.  This information has also remained completely unaddressed or even

publicly acknowledged by those elites in both America and the world that

determine and shape public policy and direct the course of human events.

I say this with the full and complete awareness that I am tonight standing

partially in the midst of those elites and that those elites are listening.

I have long been aware of the stature and prestige of the Commonwealth Club,

for its ability to attract some of the world’s most influential speakers;

also for its reputation for bi-partisanship; and perhaps most importantly

for its willingness to present conflicting or opposing viewpoints.

My appearance here tonight no doubt marks a departure for the Club even from

that inspiring record.

With today’s remarks I intend to establish a whole new definition of

“conflicting viewpoint.”

I applaud the Club’s record, and am mindful that, had it not been for the

dangerous and epochal historical events taking place around us, I would

never have been afforded such an opportunity as this.  Because clearly, my

writing and public speaking have demonstrated that where we are today is

exactly where I said we would be if something fundamental was not changed

about how we both view the world, and how we interact with it.

Before preparing this speech, of course, I did some research to see who had

spoken here before.

I was happy to see that I follow on the heels of such notables as former CIA

Director James Woolsey, and two members of the Kean commission on 9/11:

Slade Gorton and Richard ben-Veniste.  These are not people whom I would

call “kindred spirits.”  I also saw the name of Homeland Security Secretary

Thomas Ridge and former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin.  These are also

leaders of whom I have been sharply critical in the past and will be sharply

critical of in the future.

I also saw names like John Kerry, John Edwards, Dennis Kucinich, Joseph

Lieberman, and Madeleine Albright.

My record as a journalist and lecturer shows that I have not embraced, and

have indeed been fiercely critical of, most of these opinion makers.  While

I am more inclined to find kinship with Dennis Kucinich, I also state

categorically that no political leader who does not address the real causes

of the problems facing us will ever be considered by me as a true kindred

soul ­ or as a political champion for the future.

Such praise and endorsement I offer only to the likes of my good friend, the

honorable Cynthia McKinney of Georgia, and to former Assistant Secretary of

Housing Catherine Austin Fitts.  I heartily recommend them to the club as

potential speakers for future events.

I also saw the names of spiritual leaders and independent or international

voices like Al Franken, Jane Goodall, Arianna Huffington, rabbi Michael

Lerner, Norman Mailer, Ted Turner, Hans Blix, and King Abudullah II.

In looking at this long list of prestigious speakers, I was very aware that

the life’s work of Michael Ruppert did not place me in any category that fit

with these people.  For the most part, I have long considered them to be

part of a serious problem rather than pathfinders to its solution.

That realization brought to mind what was perhaps the single most memorable

line from the 1992 vice-presidential debates in which Ross Perot's running

mate, retired navy admiral James Stockdale ­ a medal of honor winner and

former Vietnam prisoner of war pow ­ asked, “Who am I?” and “Why am I here?”

I am not prone to over-analyzing such opportunities.  I have always said

that, if given the chance, I would walk into the lion’s den or the devil’s

bedroom to make my case, and that is what I intend to do today.  This is as

close as I have come thus far to either.  For here, I can see tonight parts

of the elite whose consciousness and attitudes must be changed if humanity

is to even partially meet the challenges that are “in our faces.”

For any of you who might be either lions or devils, I hope that you have had

a good meal recently, and also that you have checked your pitchforks at the

door.  I also implore that your ears be open and your minds accessible.

For those of you who realize that a global crisis is casting its shadow

across the entire planet, and who wish better to understand its dynamics, I

am here to offer some of my experience and learning as a “mapmaker” who has

no allegiance to partisan politics or any desire except to tell you the

truth, no matter how disquieting it may be, or how divergent it may be from

whatever cherished beliefs you may hold; from whatever cosmological

principles you may believe in; or from whatever economic or other personal

interests you may have.

A spiritual teacher once told me that my problem was not that I thought

highly of myself; not that I thought lowly of myself; but that I thought

constantly of myself.  In that vein, let us all tonight try to think of

issues larger than ourselves, our personal interests, our wants, or our

fears.

Viewed from almost any perspective -- be it geopolitics, economics, climate,

spreading warfare that threatens to unleash a global orgy of bloodletting,

rising energy prices, documented energy shortages, fresh water shortages,

biological warfare, the repression of civil liberties at home and abroad, or

any of a dozen other issues -- planet Earth and all of its inhabitants are

in great danger.  This is not a time to think of national security.  It is a

time to think of planetary security ­ indeed, of planetary survival.

And I must recognize also that I would never have been afforded this

incredible opportunity to speak to you today, had it not been for the

consistent support and generosity; the research and activism; the courage

and disenfranchisement, and above all the loyalty, of all those people who

have helped my newsletter, “from the wilderness”, grow in just six years

from 68 to more than 15,000 monthly readers worldwide.  Today our web site,

at:

... averages more than 12,000 visitors a day.

These include members of Congress, business and economic leaders,
professors

at more than 30 universities, respected journalists, and political leaders

in many countries.

If anything had an impact on my thinking as I prepared these remarks, it was

my awareness that these loyal supporters are the people on whose behalf I

presume to speak.  It is their voice and their commitment which has given

rise to my voice.  I could not, and would not, be here were it not for them.

But I also, if I may be that bold, presume to speak for all mankind,

regardless of religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual preference,

bank account or any other artificial distinction.

This is no time to be shy.

This is not a time when men and women of good conscience can afford to be

politically correct or be guided by anything except a willingness to discard

every “cherished” belief or opinion which stands in the way of an accurate

and fearless appraisal of the world around us.

As I have said so many times in the last three years, while delivering more

than 40 lectures on the truth and lies of 9/11 and peak oil, in eight

countries: the events in the five years following the attacks of September

11th will determine the course of human history for the next 500 years or

more.

I can only assume that the record of my lectures and writings, wherein I

have come to be known as a man who backs up everything he says and
presents

it to his audiences for verification, had something to do with how the board

of governors reached its decision to extend this invitation.

For many years now, not a single fact, citation or piece of evidence,

presented in my lectures, or in my best-selling video, “the truth and lies

of 9/11” has been proved inaccurate.

I am known as a man who does not expect people to take his word on faith but

who asks and even expects people to challenge his research, evaluate it, and

reach their own conclusions.

Operating under the assumption that the past credibility of my research has

produced a record which got me in the door at the Commonwealth Club, I am

today, in the interest of time and for maximum impact, going to dispense

with my customary slide presentation.  I fully expect that anyone who

challenges or disagrees with my assertions will go out and do some checking

for him or her self.

Almost everything I present to you today will be fully documented -­ by

means of approximately 1,000 endnotes -­ in my soon to be released book,

“Crossing the Rubicon: the Decline of the American Empire at the End of the

Age of Oil.”  The book, published by New Society Publishers, should be

available for sale from the FTW web site within 2-3 weeks, and it will go on

sale nationally, through all major outlets, by mid-October.

September 11th

Both here in the United States and around the World, I am not alone in

believing that the attacks of September 11th were facilitated, orchestrated

and executed by the United States government.  However, there is a great

deal of misunderstanding and conclusion jumping about these assessments that

is not supported by the evidence.

I was trained as a police officer and detective, and for many years now I

have been an effective investigative journalist because I have adhered to

strict evidentiary and investigative standards.

The 9/11 attacks were the result of deliberate planning and orchestrated

efforts by identifiable leaders within the U.S. Government, and the energy

and financial sectors, to see a Pearl Harbor-like attack which would provide

the American empire with a pretext for war, invasion and the sequential

confiscation of oil and natural gas reserves, or the key transportation

routes through which they pass.  9-11 was premeditated murder, and in my

book, and here tonight, I will name some of the suspects who committed the

crime. In my book I will show you overwhelming evidence of their guilt which

I would be proud and confident to place either before a district attorney or

a jury.

Historically, the assertion that the United States government would

orchestrate an attack upon American interests has ample precedent.  Former

national security advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski described the need for such an

event in several places in his 1997 book “The Grand Chessboard.”  It was I

who first brought this book to world attention in late 2001.  The Project

for a New American Century made reference to the need for such an attack in

its 2000 report “Rebuilding America’s Defenses.”  Declassified top secret

documents disclosed by author James Bamford in his book, “Body of Secrets”

tell us that in 1962 the joint chiefs had approved a plan called “Operation

Northwoods” which was a covert operation that would shoot down American

aircraft and stage attacks on American military facilities with the intent

of blaming those attacks on Fidel Castro and prompting the subsequent US

invasion and occupation of Cuba.

The declassified Northwoods documents can be seen and downloaded from the

</color>Therefore it cannot be said that such a thing has never been conceived of or

carried out by American political leaders. From the sinking of the

battleship Maine, to the Gulf of Tonkin, and indeed, even to Pearl Harbor

itself, history today provides us with abundant documentation of US

government complicity in varying degrees in similar attacks.  The book “Day

of Deceit” and other records from the National Archives have shown us that

the Roosevelt administration had broken the Japanese codes well before

December 7th, 1941, and that a conscious decision was made to allow the

attack on Pearl Harbor to take place.  This was intended to provide the

necessary impetus for us entry into the second world war at a time when

Great Britain was buckling under the military blitzkrieg, aerial bombing and

u-boat warfare of the Third Reich.

'Crossing the Rubicon' is a detective story that gets to the innermost core

of the 9/11 attacks.  It places 9/11 at the center of a desperate new

America, created by specific, named individuals in preparation for peak oil:

an economic crisis like nothing the world has ever seen.

Simply defined, peak oil is that moment in time when global oil and natural

gas ­ production begins an irreversible and permanent decline which will not

yield or give way regardless of how much money and effort is spent trying to

change it.  With demand for this commodity still accelerating rapidly in

both the US and the industrialized and developing world, the arrival of peak

oil literally describes a point of 'overshoot' in which economic and

ecological stasis ­ let alone growth ­ becomes unsustainable.

I have insisted for many years now that any fundamental change in the

current human paradigm, a change that will really make a difference, is

impossible until we, collectively and as a species, change the way money

works. In “Crossing the Rubicon”, I will explain just how and why the world’

s current economic system is hastening, and worsening, a calamity of

unimagined proportions.

This all began for me some 27 years ago when, as a young policeman, I

discovered that the CIA was deeply involved in the drug trade.  The purpose

of that involvement led me to discover, and prove -- using US Senate hearing

records and documents from the CIA itself -- that an essential ingredient,

perhaps the essential ingredient, in US economic supremacy was the

maintenance of a flow of as much as $600 billion a year in drug profits

through US financial markets and institutions.

What we are witnessing now is a collision: a collision of a financial

system -- relying on fractional reserve banking, debt-financed growth, and a

fiat currency system -- with a system of planetary and energy resources that

are finite, limited, and running out.  Infinite growth is battling with

finite energy.  One is not possible without the other, and I have absolutely

no doubt as to which side will win.

'Currency Wars'

In November 2002, John Kenneth Galbraith wrote an article titled 'The

Unbearable Costs of Empire'.  None of these problems will be cured so long

as war remains our dominant political theme.  But serious though they are,

they pale in comparison with the larger problem of the international trade

and financial order under conditions of permanent war.  It is a

straightforward fact that if global oil production starts to decline but US

consumption does not, everyone else will be required to cut purchases and

uses of oil.  But how can oil prices be held stable for Americans yet be

made to rise for everyone else?  Only by a policy of continuing depreciation

in everyone else's currency.

Such a policy of dollar hegemony amid worldwide financial instability, of

crushing debt burdens and deflation throughout the developing world, is

perverse.  It will make our trading partners' exports cheap, render their

imports dear and keep their real wages low.  It will price American goods

out of world markets, and lead to unsustainable dependence on foreign

capital.  It will be a policy, in short, of beggar-all-of-our-neighbors

while we live alone, in increasing idleness and inside the 'dollar bubble'.

This is the policy that Bush and Cheney are actually imposing on the rest of

the world.  But they cannot make it last.  It will make lives miserable

elsewhere, generating ever more resistance, terrorism and military

engagement.  Meanwhile, we will not experience even gradual exposure to the

changing energy balance; we will therefore never make the investments

required to adjust, even eventually, to a world of scarce and expensive oil.

In the end, therefore, that world will arrive much more abruptly than it

otherwise would, shaking the fragile edifice of our oil economy to its

foundations.

And we will someday face a double explosion: of anger against our arrogance

and of actual shortage and collapsing living standards, when the confidence

of investors in the dollar finally gives way.

Compared with this future, a new commitment to collective security -- to a

new world financial structure, to a rational energy and transportation

policy, and to spending to meet our actual domestic needs -- would be a

bargain.

At the end of the Constitutional Convention, Benjamin Franklin was asked

what type of government the framers had given our new country.  He famously

replied, "... a republic, if you can keep it."

In 49 BC, Julius Caesar, fresh from a battlefield victory in central Italy

ordered his legions to cross a small creek called the Rubicon.  Under the

laws of the Roman republic, the army was not allowed to enter the capital

city.  As Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon, the Roman republic died, and

the Roman empire was born.

Our task, if we and much of human civilization are to survive, is not to

keep our republic, but to take it back.

Thank you.

Text of Michael Ruppert's August 31, 2004 speech at the Commonwealth Club,

by re-post Wednesday, September 1, 2004 at 9:34 AM.  The text of the

speech -- lightly edited for clarity -- may be found below, and is

downloadable in .pdf format at:

If you don't have a PDF file reader, you can download a free reader for

Macintosh or Windows operating systems from adobe.com.