RE: [ebxml-dev] ebxml virtual appliance

Bryan, Matt, David et al,

I heartily agree with Matt's comments about ease of use being essential.
David and I are both involved offline in a project around Traxian's
offering, which I'd described to him as "Skype for B2B" (not that we'll
be trademarking that, obviously <g>). Traxian is a lightweight, uniform
client for integrating B2B seamlessly with popular applications like
QuickBooks - and which leverages hosted services to handle the
variability in different partner connections (i.e. format/protocol
translation, data aligment etc).

As some real-world background... our first product was a (fairly) pure
client-to-client model. Worked well in the lab... but in practice the
amount of tweaking and updating required on the client for each
end-to-end use case led to poor customer experiences and poor
supportability. Pure P2P implementations here can work fine
"out-of-the-box" where requirements and interfaces are well-defined and
stable - but we're a long way from that in the real world, especially
when SMB application integration (vs just file delivery) is a
requirement. Approaches that start with message delivery, and see app
integration as a "plug-in" will not work, in my view.

To your original question Bryan: the key requirement, I'd suggest, is
seamless end-to-end integration. Any technologies or standards that
relate to internal/B2B connections are fairly irrelevant from a user's
perspective, though they may matter for other reasons.

Regards,
Roger