Subject: [ebxml-mktg-sc] Alexander [ebxml-dev] 1/2/2003: Microsoft Refuses tosupport ebXML

As to the Adoption Update, we plan another release this quarter as we
are finding out even more implementations, pilots and plans.

Thank you.

Monica J. Martin
Program Manager
Drake Certivo, Inc.
208.585.5946

-----Original Message-----
From: Zachary Alexander [mailto:zack2@cris.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 8:03 AM
To: Fraser Goffin; ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Microsoft Refuses to support ebXML

Fraser,

I would read the ebXML adoption document before you respond. It can be
found
at  http://www.ebxml.org/ebxml_jmt/index.htm#documents. <Fraser> While
most
of the industry is aligned behind SOAP, WSDL and UDDI, only Sun is
championing ebXML while Microsoft refuses to support it.</Fraser> I
would
strongly caution against this statement. IMHO, the current market is way
fragmented to make a blanket statement like this. I think that user
communities are behind ebXML and I would always put my money were the
users
are.

There are technical concerns being voiced against each of the
technologies
that you have listed. SOAP, WSDL, UDDI are technologies that grew out a
need
to extend portal services because vendors were losing money. I would
agree
that most of the software industry's marketing dollars are behind SOAP,
WSDL, UDDI.  But just because you build it doesn't mean they will come.
The
applications that are built still need to address the needs and concerns
of
the users. Anecdote: the EDIers still have there jobs, while the
dotcomers
lost theirs.

zack