Subject: RE: [ebxml-mktg-sc] WP - eBusiness Solutions Part 1 - Messaging

Title: RE: [ebxml-mktg-sc] WP - eBusiness Solutions Part 1 - Messaging

Alan,

Your view of VANs is quite out-of-date. Our VAN supports a wide range of Internet access methods, including AS2 and S/FTP.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Kotok [mailto:akotok@disa.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:55 AM
To: David RR Webber - XML ebusiness; ebXML Mkt Steering

David, et al:

Sorry about not responding sooner.  The old bandwidth problem.

One basic issue that you need to address is the scoring method.  Your
expertise on the subject not withstanding, other people representing other
technologies would likely give different scores looking at the same set of
criteria.  My recommendation would be to score the factor as Yes/No rather
than a 0 to 9 scale.  In that way, your numbers are more solidly based and
less open to interpretation.

The other suggestion is to separate EDI from the VAN.  EDI is the message
syntax, VAN is the delivery mechanism.  AS2 delivers EDI as well, and so
can ebMS.  Also, as I recall, VANS do not use secure FTP, but dedicated
leased lines.

And forgive my fading memory, but if this paper is part 1, what are the
other parts?

Alan Kotok
Editor, < E-Business*Standards*Today />
http://www.disa.org/dailywire/