Subject: Re: [ebxml-mktg-sc] For Friday: Revised Messaging Assessment WP attached

David, et al.

Do we want to discuss the RosettaNet Implementation Framework in the
paper?  While ostensibly a single-industry standard, the RosettaNet people
are strongly promoting it to other industries, and UCC has paid for
Drummond Group interop tests like those done with ebXML. Following is the
section I wrote up about RNIF for my latest book project.

For e-mail/SMTP, there is an AS1 spec comparable to AS2 for HTTP, although
with much less traction than AS2 (no Wal-Mart to give it a boost).  But it
may be worth a mention, just so no says you missed it.

Alan Kotok
Editor, < E-Business*Standards*Today />
http://www.disa.org/dailywire/
Data Interchange Standards Association
akotok@disa.org
+1 703-518-4174

=========================

C6.06[2]        RosettaNet Implementation Framework

An early XML vocabulary that combined business process analysis with supply
chain integration is RosettaNet.  This consortium, centered on the computer
technology industry, has become a model for other industries and as a
result its influence is felt well beyond its industry boundaries.

RosettaNet, begun in 1998, has some 400 members in the information
technology industry, broadly defined to include computer manufacturers,
chip and circuit manufacturers, software developers, and distributors of
products in the industry.  The consortium seeks to develop a common
language, thus taking its name from the Rosetta Stone written in 196 BC and
discovered in Egypt in 1799 that helped comprehend for the first time the
hieroglyphics of ancient Egypt.

In April 1999, less than a year after its founding, RosettaNet released its
first Partner Interface Processes or PIPs, which are specifications for
business process alignment.  RosettaNet carried out extensive process
modeling to find out how companies in the supply chain interacted with each
other to carry out their normal business activities.

RosettaNet builds its specifications around the PIPs, which define the
business processes, identify the trading partners involved in the
processes, and the messages that flow among the trading partners to support
those processes.  The RosettaNet Implementation Framework or RNIF provides
the infrastructure for moving the messages in support of the PIPs, as well
as providing acknowledgements for the messages, security, and a basic
trading partner agreement.  This chapter discusses the business process
aspects of RosettaNet later.

RNIF, now in version 2.0, defines two types of messages - (1) action
messages that carry the business documents and (2) signal messages that
indicate success or failure of message delivery.  RosettaNet messages
contain headers and payload, wrapped in a MIME envelope.  The headers
contain administrative information for transport routing, while the payload
contains the service content with either the business data of interest to
the trading partners (in an action message) or the signal message with the
acknowledgement.  The action message payload may also include attachments.

Action message payloads may contain data defined according to the
RosettaNet specifications or a third-party message.  However, third-party
content must be sanctioned in advanced by RosettaNet and agreed upon in the
trading partner agreement.

RosettaNet messages have three types of headers:  Preamble, Delivery, and
Service.  Preamble headers identify the RosettaNet specifications used,
including the version. The Delivery Header identifies the sender and
receiver of the message (using a DUNS number or other global business ID),
and provides a date-time stamp, and tracking identifier.  RosettaNet
designed the Delivery Header for use with trading exchanges and other
hub-intermediaries that provide third-party messaging services for smaller
companies.

The Service Header offers process control data giving basic information
about the contents of the message.  The Service Header indicates if the
message is a test or production (with real data) message, identifies the
PIPs supported, offers a description of the contents, and indicates if the
message includes attachments.  The Service Header can also indicate if the
receiving party is known or unknown to the sender.  Known parties have
active trading partner agreements in place.  The Service Header in version
2.0 has a placeholder for quality of service elements, which RosettaNet has
not yet implemented.

RNIF includes security specifications, in the form of Secure MIME (S/MIME)
envelopes that provide encryption for confidentiality and digital
signatures for message integrity, authentication, and non-repudiation.  The
packaging specifications in RNIF allow for encrypting parts of the message,
such as the payload only, leaving the headers sent in the clear.

As noted above, RosettaNet messages can also send signals indicating the
extent of receipt and acceptance of the message by the trading partner.  A
Receipt Acknowledgement indicates the message is structurally and
syntactically valid, according to RosettaNet specifications, while
Exceptions return an error message to the sender.  The Receipt
Acknowledgement can include a Non-Repudiation element providing the
equivalent of a signed receipt.

RNIF goes one step beyond acknowledgements however, with Process Control
messages that notify the trading partners on the extent of execution of the
message.  Version 2.0 of the RNIF defines one such signal message,
Notification of Failure.  The specifications provide guidance for various
scenarios of failures and retries, for both asynchronous (one-way) and
synchronous (request-and-response) message interactions.